Sharpening Get Together (GTG), March 13th, 2016

dimanche 17 janvier 2016

Ladies and Gents,
I have nearly completed a significant shed rebuild and re-arrangement but, getting everything out of cupboards, drawers, nooks and crannies, has highlighted (ie brought back many bad memories of ....) my past sharpening journey. I have tried many methods and now can produce sharp enough edges to suit me BUT any even cursory look at this forum shows that any 10 woodworkers will have 24 passionately defended different preferred ways to sharpen!
So, how does a nubie even get started and how can an established woodworker experiment with different techniques?
l have hatched a plan to use the litter, flotsam and jetsam of my journey to help out.
I am planning on having a DIY SHARPENING GTG on March 13th for woodies to come to my place (south west Sydney) to try any of the methods, processes, tools or machines that I have available and then to form their own opinion as to which method best suits them and their budget. I am competent but by no means an expert, l have no particular barrow to push and l do not, in any way, represent any of the suppliers.

The tools, machines and processes already available are....


  • Standard bench grinder
  • JET Tormek clone with many accessories
  • Tormek drill sharpening jig
  • Miller Falls horizontal wet grinder
  • Robert Sorby ProEdge belt sander
  • diamond plates
  • steel plates and diamond paste
  • Shapton stones (220 to 8000)
  • veritas sharpening jig
  • eclipse sharpening jig
  • Mpower sharpening jig
  • Alisam sharpening sled
  • Heavy plate glass and
  • wet and dry paper and
  • lapidary film
  • !!!


Others have now also volunteered;
  • More Tormeks including one set up for turning tools
  • Worksharp 300
  • polished stone slab/s


As a GTG, there will also be a BBQ (free sausage sandwiches) and plenty of time to sit around, brag, buy, sell or swap tools and timber .......and tell outrageous lies about woodwork, fishing and life.

I hope the date is convenient as it avoids a few other events, Sturt Workshop, TTTG sale and Dave TTC's GTG and is on a long weekend for Canberrans and Victorians.
If you are interested, and have not already replied, please just PM me and I will send details.
fletty


Sharpening Get Together (GTG), March 13th, 2016

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor