My first attempt using a quadrant hinge

lundi 18 janvier 2016

Hi all,

I've always admired the look of quadrant hinges, read about them, but was scared by two factors,......the price,...and how on earth do you install them.

So recently I purchased 5 pairs of them. I had a large box in mind to make, wanting to use a nice ring holder that I had left over and designed the box all around it. A rather large box, it doesn't adhere to the "golden ratio" size but I like the result. Getting back to these quadrant hinges. The arms on them were 7.5mm (tad under) wide. The thickness/depth was 1.5mm. I used 11mm timber for the main frame of this box. I would usually use 10mm but went the extra mm for the size of it. So 11 minus 7.5 is 3.5, thus leaving me 1.75mm of timber left on the sides of the box. I routered out the areas using my small plunge router with a 3mm straight bit, and I made a large irregular oval shaped base from 6mm polycarbonate for the router. This enabled me to straddle the base of the router across each side of the box (front and back), to stop it from tilting etc. Reasonably satisfactory, not totally. I then routered freehand.

Getting the depth for the curved piece right is also tricky, but the end result was good. Sits perfectly. Routering freehand was not easy, trying to stay within your area and finish with a chisel. Maybe a template but then I would have to use a flush trim panel bit and the template would be pretty thick as the bearing is in the middle of the bit. Then you might just rip the bit of 1.75mm timber right off and wreck everything. I am thinking next time maybe a 7.5mm brad bit (which I dont have yet), set the guage on the drill press for a neat 1.5mm and clean up with a chisel. Anyway, food for thought.

Here is the result, the box is from Oak and the inserts/tray etc, are from Hornbeam, I am loving that timber now. 315mm x 240mm x 105mm.


My first attempt using a quadrant hinge

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor