Verandah rafters

dimanche 17 janvier 2016

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding rafter lengths, plumb and birds mouth cuts.

A mate of mine asked if I could help him knock up a small verandah at his place, its approx 3 meters wide by 2 meters. We are going to base it off the verandah at my place (already done when we got the house), which isnt too complicated, except for a few important points.

I understand that obtaining the rafter lengths and plumb cut angles is based upon a2 + b2 = c2 (get square root of a2+b2). But im not sure where to actually take my dimensions from in order to do the math correctly.

I have attached a picture to help describe our scenario.
On the house end, the rafters will be fixed to the house fascia via joist hangers, the rafter will have a birds mouth cut so it sits inside the seat portion of the hanger. On the opposite end, the rafters will be plumb cut and nailed to the verandahs fascia. (posts will be notched out to accommodate the fascia).

I have checked out vids on youtube and other sites but I am confused about where I actually take my measurements to obtain the run and rise in order to do the math to obtain my plumb cut angle/degrees. The part thats confusing me is the bird mouth cut at the house fascia end.

We will be working with a datum line to ensure all heights line up true to each other, so we only need to do the math once which is nice!

If anyone can give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Attached Images


Verandah rafters

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor