A question on tools for making wheels

lundi 18 janvier 2016

I'm having a problem finding the right tool to make the wheel on the right. The photo on the left shows how far I have got. The wheel was cut out with a Suttons hole saw and then tidied up on the lathe. I have a few lathe tools but that are too large to cut out the area on the timber to make it look like the photo. The problem arises with the angle the tools need to get to. I have a Woodfast midi lathe and I have given myself as much room as I can using delrin spacers. I have used a parting tool to cut in as much as I can and then swapped to dental pick tools which have a very fine point. They cut nicely into the timber but nothing i have will allow me to square off the hub as shown in the picture of the yellow hub. I was thinking about something like a 1/8" parting tool bend at a right angle to allow the tip to be square to the timber hub. Anyone got any ideas on a tool?

Also, the grooves in the thread in the right hand side pic run 45 degrees opposite to those on the other side of the tyre. There is a deep groove through the centre of the tyre around the circumference. Can you suggest any ideas on inserting these opposing 45 degree tread marks on the tyres.

Any advice appreciated

Greg


IMG_0697.jpgIMG_0700.jpg
Attached Images


A question on tools for making wheels

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor