ND filters - colour cast

samedi 16 janvier 2016

Howdy all

I have just returned from a trip with the family to Terrigal (NSW central coast for those wondering)
Whilst there I thought I'd take some photos of waves, rocks and suchlike

I've been particularly interested in blurring the water action so as to get the milky waterfalls etc

Anyway loaded up with camera, trusty tripod and a recently acquired set of Cokin ND filters I wandered around the rocks, set up and took some photos

All photos with Canon 7D with a 17-85mm

1st photo at f22 and1.6 s
I think I had two of the ND filters (so added together either 5 or 6) in use in order to slow the shutter speed right down
The first photo is representative of what I got
It looks ok until you look at the second photo still f22 at 1/50 s and no ND filters
They were close to each other in bridge which showed up the difference in colour.

Anyway I searched the interweb and found that this is a well known issue. Apparently the ND filters block out the visible light but not infra red etc which is believed to cause the colour cast.
Something else I read suggests that the higher end cameras don't have this issue ie better processors. (Looks like I need a 1DX)
Anyway the third photo is the 1st after a bit of a play with the white balance in Photoshop.

Test ND no process_2930.jpg test no ND_2934.jpg Test ND pprocess_2930.jpg

They weren't the best examples of blurry water that I took that day.
Some idjit left the remote at home so I had to use the timer function and guess what the waves might do in the future
Attached Images


ND filters - colour cast

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor