TIG amps question

vendredi 26 septembre 2014

I've been going crazy with TIG this year and generally follow the Americans' 1A/thousandths rule (~40A/mm). This works well for me and I normally set the pedal ~10A or so over and stomp it and match the travel speed to the heat. Maybe feather the pedal or turn the machine down if the job builds up heat. In the rare case when I go too far under on amperage I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure and will stop and crank the dial up to that rule. The other rule that goes hand in hand is the "puddle in less than 3s" rule. Generally I feel like I get it in less than 2s. So I like sufficient input amps and fast travel rather than slow and steady.



Today I watched Jody's most recent video. At the ~11:30 mark he is welding a 1/4" steel outside corner. I would be cranking my dynasty 200 right up for that but he says he's set to 120A. The resulting weld looks fine and the weld width seems perfect, from corner to corner. Why would he go so low? I think I would feel like I'm just washing heat in slowly and not getting penetration and be more likely to try 180A->200A. Is it because it's an outside corner so the root is thin and he's digging right in there? Still seems low to me. I guess I haven't really done much outside corner stuff and when I have I feather and it's generally a low setting anyway (all I've done is outside corners of mitred corners on frames with ~3mm or less material and some tube and pipe caps with imperfect fit up).



A non-related question that I was thinking of today - insulation wrap - what does everyone use for slow cooling of thick pieces? Anything cheap and accessible to a backyarder? New trailer or two next year and I might build my own suspension where some parts are thick and could possibly benefit from a bit of pre heating and slow cooling. Some 8-10mm brackets and things. Things that are difficult to pack in sand where I'd prefer a wide reusuable tape or something.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor