Gluing Australian 'Red Mahogany' (Euc. Resinfora?)

dimanche 28 septembre 2014

I grabbed a pack of 'red mahogany' decking from Mal and Greg's auction for making outdoor furniture, I tried laminating two 15mm thick sections together to make legs, I (think?) I dressed the timber the same day as gluing it and used a liberal amount of titebond III and clamped overnight using some nice parallel clamps from ebay...but I have a problem.



One of the laminations pulled itself mostly apart after 48 hours as the timber cupped, I finished separating it and noticed that the glue isn't properly hardened within the joint. I tested some other offcuts, looks like the glue separates and the glue is easy to scrape into fine shavings with a chisel (its not fully cured, even after 48 hours, some kind of oil or tension effect??).



I'm thinking it may be the oils in the timber or its density? My idea is tomorrow to saw out the joint on all of them just in case, resurface and laminate using west system epoxy...but all suggestions gratefully accepted.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor