My Workbench - Mini Roubo

dimanche 14 septembre 2014

Hey all,



Finally started my (proper) woodworking journey over the last few weeks, and have gotten underway with my bench.



I'm building a mini roubo style bench - as much as I'd love an 8 foot long bench I don't have anywhere near that much space, so my bench is a much more conservative 4 feet long. It will suit my needs as I'm only planning to do smaller work like boxes (initially at least), and I also need somewhere to do odd-jobs etc. that isn't the kitchen counter.



It incorporates a lot of the roubo style features, and ultimately I plan on putting a leg vise in, and am toying with the idea of putting a veritas inset vise in on the other side.



Anyway...pictures...



IMG_0907.jpgIMG_0910.jpgIMG_0912.jpg



I made the cardinal sin of not taking enough pictures early on in the piece, but my basic process was as follows:

- started with the legs, 2x5 laminated structural pine - glued these up and have run them through the thickness planer;

- built the top out of 2x4 F17 hardwood, thicknessed and then biscuited and joined (the biscuits were really only for alignment - I think this was a good option truth be told). This was glued in two halves so I could run it through the thicknesser - saved so much time and effort;

- cut and thicknessed the stretchers and glued the ones that needed it

- glued the top into a single slab.



Had to move the slab earlier and even at just over 4 feet long it is heavy (and awkward for one person to move).



Anyway, stay tuned for future episodes, including my first attempt to cut mortices next weekend! Followed by my first attempt at drawboring the mortice and tenon joints.



Thanks go out to all the folks that have given advice in some of my initial threads with questions - much appreciated!.



Cheers,



Tarvis


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor