Quick tips on storage for a non-miller

lundi 9 novembre 2015

Hi folks,

The neighbours cut down some trees today, so I scored some silky oak logs (green) and what I think may be spotted gum (seems to be dry, must have been standing dead).

I am a complete novice at anything to do with trying to get usable timber from a log. Anyone have some quick advice?

My plan at the moment is to put some end sealer on, and cut the silky oak logs down the middle (some of them are big enough that's going to be a struggle!), then store them in a carport under a tarp with some worthless pine studs keeping them off the ground. Some which I like the look of for end grain bowls I might try rough turning them green and then put them away with some sawdust.

Any other advice? Should I be trying to get them into rough slabs now?

Is the gum likely to be ready to work, if it was dead? Certainly seems dry to my eyes, with no real difference in the timber from outside (no sapwood to speak of) through to the middle.

Cheers,

Danny


Quick tips on storage for a non-miller

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor