Got my scorp to work for me!

lundi 9 novembre 2015

I bought this scorp at either the first or second TWWW show in Melbourne, so I've had it for about 25 years or more. I tried using it many times over the years, but it just didn't want to work for me & I'd given up on it. I even tried giving it away, but no-one seemed interested, so it has languished in a drawer for years, unwanted & unloved.
Today I was making seat-bottoms for a couple of little chairs, and having a bad time with my usual gouge & double-radiused plane approach. My plane sole is badly worn, and the mouth profile no longer matches the curve of the blade, so it either hardly cuts at all, or digs in if I advance the blade too far (been meaning to make a new one for several years, just haven't got a round tuit :C). In desperation, I dug out the scorp for one last try, & lo & behold, it just worked! Scorp.jpg

The wood is Jacaranda, & I'm quite sure I've tried using the scorp on this wood before, so I don't know what's happened, & why it suddenly seems so easy & natural. Where before it had scraped & chattered & failed to produce any decent shavings for me, today I was pulling out lovely dollops of wood with ease. Just held my mouth the right way, I suppose. Whatever the reason, the job became a pleasure, and I scooped out the two little seats in short order. The scorp was more easily controlled than a gouge, and left a surface I could quickly clean up with my plane and a scraper. All that's needed is a bit of final sanding after I shape the edges: Seat roughed out.jpg

I feel a bit like I the day I first learned to ride a bike! :U

Cheers,
Attached Images


Got my scorp to work for me!

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor