Sharpening Spring Loaded Centre Punch

samedi 28 novembre 2015

I've been making up a jig for the table saw and needed to make a small 50x55 metal plate with four holes to locate things.

I cut the plate out of an old CMT saw blade using the angle grinder and filed the edges square without problems, but when I attempted to drill it I started to run into problems. I have a cheapie spring loaded centre punch that I assumed was a metal working tool and used it to mark the hole locations.. By the 4th hole the punch point was slightly mushroomed over with an annoying sharp catch. I touched it up with a file to get rid of the sharp bit but I think it needs some more work.

Q: What is the best way to sharpen punches and scribes? I don't think I have a steady enough hand to hold them up to a grinding wheel.

I also had trouble drilling the plate. I have some old reasonable quality HSS drill bits (mainly used drilling wood), but they weren't making much headway in the saw plate. Would it be particularly hard? It filed fairly easily. I have one of those cheap drill sharpener thingies that slip over the chuck of a hand drill. I eventually got through by resharpening the drill bits twice for each hole.


Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com...


Sharpening Spring Loaded Centre Punch

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor