Some friendly advice needed for restoring beautiful old Victorian door

vendredi 27 novembre 2015

Hello forum,

I spent a fair bit of time looking for an original cricket bat door and finally found one. As you can see from the pics it's in quite a state. However, I like the dings and patches over its life - gives it real character.

Anyhow, I'm planning to restore this door for my old house. Now, I'm a novice in regards to doors (my previous experience in this area has been pulling apart sash windows).

I'm planning to:-
  1. Pull off all the mouldings and remove all the terrible 'bog' someone had used on the sides of the mouldings,
  2. Strip the varnish and sand back to bare wood,
  3. Smooth any dings,
  4. Several coats of danish oil with a couple of final satin poly.


So far, Ive pulled apart one 'panel' as you can see by the pics. The nail eating tool has been pretty helpful in carefully pulling this apart. I noted that the wood panel behind the moulding is fairly loose and looks to be only held in by nails from the moulding on the other side (I guess these panels are just sandwiched by the mouldings and nailed in?)

My questions are;

Should I remove all mouldings and 'pull' out the panels and then go far as pull apart the door sections (all the tenon joined sections). It looks like the sections could be pulled apart though not sure - wish there was an old door manual or something!

If I do pull apart all the sections, when putting back together should I use a liberal amount of glue and perhaps screws to secure it all back in place (knowing I will never really be able to pull it apart again).

I note that the 'panel' behind the mouldings I just pulled apart is fairly bowed (seemed to suffered from 100 yrs worth of weather). Is there any way to 'straighten' this panel or should I replace with some recycled wood of the same type?

Is the wood baltic pine? I'm a beginner in identifying woods :U

Any other advice you would recommend in making this restoration project go as good as can be?


If you have any advice/pearls of wisdom - much appreciated!

Thanks,
Aaron.













Some friendly advice needed for restoring beautiful old Victorian door

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor