Learning to Turn again!

mardi 17 novembre 2015

For all that know me, thank you for your words of encouragement, for those who are new , hope to be a friend.
Slowly, after moving and recovering from illness, I am trying to try making some pens again; to ALL Kit suppliers, I haven't ordered from anyone the past two years, and like Neil, have MANY kits in stock! so if you haven't heard from me it is not because you are forgotten.
Well, now it is a TINY little room that holds the lathe, tools and pen blanks, you can't swing a cat in it!; I had to get rid of much of my beloved machinery and how I miss them.
1. Select pen Blanks---now where are they??? oh! OH! the ones I want I gave away!!! ahhh!!!
2. Find the kits- not bad, I found them.
3. Cut the blanks, NO Bandsaw! had to get rid of it, finally find a hacksaw; with what strength I have it became hard work.
4. Drill the blanks, I used to use the precision MILLING machine, it had the depth and also adjustment to get it dead centre, No Milling machine, did not want to start searching for Lathe fittings, so used the cheap drill press from Bunnings, not enough depth and had to use grips to hold the pen holding plate in position. Had to adjust height of blank 3/4 way through drilling.
5. Put in the tubes, just as messy as ever, find plastic gloves for next time.
6. Trim the blanks, had a beautiful Linisher(Belt Sander), set up to do that, not now though, so use the trimmers that are readily available, because of experience, chose the 4 blade for deeper finishes and 6 blade for finer finishes and acrylic.
It helped that I had the inserts that Big Shed made for me, kept the heads square.
That is all I am up to, almost all things I gave away I have NEEDED and has caused multiple trips to Bunnings!!! However, i did not know if I would make it (that is be alive), so wanted others to be blessed.
7. I WILL post pictures in near future, this has made me appreciate even more the tools that I do have.
Amos


Learning to Turn again!

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor