Call me lazy, but I do NOT like changing the jaws on my chucks. I think it's enough of a pain to move the bumpers on my cole jaws, but that's a necessary evil which I accept. Kind of like flossing... I like my mounting and remounting to be a "wham, bam" scenario. If the wood isn't spinning, time's a wastin'.
I have a G3 which I use with the standard jaws, and a Vicmarc VM90 which is my dedicated cole jaw chuck. Additionally, I have a NOVA Precision Midi which came with my current lathe. This chuck is currently sitting idle (with standard jaws equipped).
So recently I've been doing a bit more turning. I went through a several month period of extensive furniture-making, and I bounce back and forth, but right now I'm loving some turning.
I keep finding myself in a situation where I've turned something which is too small to reverse mount onto my cole jaws to finish. My proposed solution to this is to buy either the NOVA 100mm or 130mm jaws and use those for mounting tiny "dish" sized pieces, likely with some carpet padding in there to prevent damage to the (already sanded) piece. I've seen someone doing this extensively at a demo and it seemed to be working great.
Now the problem... I don't want to swap the jaws on either the G3 or the VM90, so I'm left with the Precision Midi. Unfortunately, however, Teknatool's website says that using this chuck with either of those jaw sets is "Not Recommended".
Can anyone provide any commentary on why this is the case? I can virtually guarantee that this chuck will be used exclusively in contraction mode for finishing off small faceplates, and I doubt I will ever use it for a large footed piece. If I ever needed to, I could, reluctantly, swap the jaws onto the G3... or just get on here and whinge about it to you guys :2tsup:
I'd also be interested in commentary from people who finish the bottoms of small pieces in a different manner.
Thanks in advance,
Luke
I have a G3 which I use with the standard jaws, and a Vicmarc VM90 which is my dedicated cole jaw chuck. Additionally, I have a NOVA Precision Midi which came with my current lathe. This chuck is currently sitting idle (with standard jaws equipped).
So recently I've been doing a bit more turning. I went through a several month period of extensive furniture-making, and I bounce back and forth, but right now I'm loving some turning.
I keep finding myself in a situation where I've turned something which is too small to reverse mount onto my cole jaws to finish. My proposed solution to this is to buy either the NOVA 100mm or 130mm jaws and use those for mounting tiny "dish" sized pieces, likely with some carpet padding in there to prevent damage to the (already sanded) piece. I've seen someone doing this extensively at a demo and it seemed to be working great.
Now the problem... I don't want to swap the jaws on either the G3 or the VM90, so I'm left with the Precision Midi. Unfortunately, however, Teknatool's website says that using this chuck with either of those jaw sets is "Not Recommended".
Can anyone provide any commentary on why this is the case? I can virtually guarantee that this chuck will be used exclusively in contraction mode for finishing off small faceplates, and I doubt I will ever use it for a large footed piece. If I ever needed to, I could, reluctantly, swap the jaws onto the G3... or just get on here and whinge about it to you guys :2tsup:
I'd also be interested in commentary from people who finish the bottoms of small pieces in a different manner.
Thanks in advance,
Luke
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire