Advice on Restoring 3 Russian Folk Guitars

dimanche 31 mai 2015

Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired 3 Russian folk guitars in an auction. All have various age related wear and tear issues and one has the headstock snapped from the neck. I'd like to restore them to use mainly as decoration pieces, but I'd like to be able to restore them to a playable condition as well.

1st guitar, a balalaika. The tuning pegs, bridge and tail piece are missing. One panel on the back is lifted and another is removed. The head stock is broken off the neck, with old filler and a nail protruding from the break where a previous repair was attempted. I looks quite old and hand made.
g1_front.jpgg1_back.jpgg1_neck.jpg


2nd guitar, 7 string folk guitar. From my research, made in Odessa Ukraine, these were mass produced, solid, cheap and plentiful. By no means, a rare find. Its the first one I've seen, so its rare to me. It has some issues. The bridge is lifting, the neck has wood removed around the adjuster. It looks like the key to adjust it was not effective, so it was bored out to get bigger tools in there to adjust the neck.
g2_bridge.jpgg2_neck.jpgg2_front.jpg

3rd guitar, 7 string folk guitar. This looks a real gem. I think it is also hand made, probably in Germany because the metal tailpiece has Patent Protected stamped in German print. The binding is separating in many places, there are cracks in the timber on the front, back and sides. The neck has a replaced section which looks pretty ugly. The bridge is also damaged around the floating fretboard section. This one requires the most work and I think it is the most valuable out of the 3.
g3_back.jpgg3_front.jpgg3_neck.jpg

I'm not an accomplished work worker. Most projects I undertake are metal orientated, not wood. But I've been doing more wood work around the house and I'm developing a keen interest. I've been interested for many years to undertake a guitar construction project, but then thought a restoration project might be a better place to start.

I'm not planning to rush these restorations. I'll do just one at a time and I'll be seeking a lot of guidance from some of the expects out there on the internet. The first thing is to make contact with some folks who are experienced in restoring old instruments, which brings me to this forum.

I'd like to get some guidance on the approach I should be taking. How far should I take the restoration. Someone has advised me to use replacement timber that stands out so you can obviously see it's a repair and not trying to fake the original product. I've also been advised to keep the original finish, not to revarnish. It would be good to get some feedback and ideas from the forum.

Thanks

Phil
Attached Images


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor