Help me design my shed

dimanche 31 mai 2015

I've finally pulled the trigger on a house (my first). I've been renting for years, and while fortunate to have a shed, it has not been ideal - it leaks, has open eaves, is dusty and everything rusts!

The place I've bought is in Newcastle, on a 490m2 block. It's a nice double brick place.

So now the important part starts - planning the shed.

The yard is a nice size, but not large, so I can't have a big shed unfortunately. At present I'm thinking of utilising 'exempt development' where tool or garden sheds up to 20m2 do not require a development approval. This would speed the process and mean I don't have to spend money on red tape, I can buy tools instead. At present I'm investigating whether having fixed wiring and things like that would exempt it from being exempt...
I'm also thinking of constructing the shed. Though I'm thinking of getting the slab done by a professional.

My current shed is a single car garage (width) though it is a fair bit longer. While I'd like a huge shed with a central bench I can get around all sides, that's not going to happen, so I think a bit thinner and longer is probably better, as it means less space 'lost' in the middle.

Options floor size wise:
5x4m
6x3.3m (erring towards this sort of shape)
6.67x3m (think this is too narrow)

Purpose
I do both metal and woodwork.
I've build a 1200x600mm CNC wood router
I've got a benchtop metal mill and lathe

Structure
Slab - 100mm thick. Toying with the idea of putting some PEX down for slab heating - I just think it's a really neat idea.
Timber frame
Double door at garden end.
Possibly single door with window towards house end.

Cladding
Inside
Planning on 12-18mm plywood or oriented strand board (OSB)
Considering prefinished plywood - white laminate?

Outside
I'm considering corrugated sheeting, run horizontally. Possibly mini-orb if the price is not tooooo bad
However, noise sealing is a significant consideration for me. So I was thinking of using a flat sheet cladding then the corro essentially for aesthetic cover.

Insulation
Noise insulation is probably the priority.
Suggestions?

Look
I want it to be somewhat sympathetic with the house. A kit shed would be cheaper and quicker but fails this criterion and doesn't pass the SWMBO test.
Thinking of corrugated sheet, run horizontally.
Timber frame windows.
Ideally I want to end up with something I'll be happy to use for 5-10 years, then when I sell the house, the shed can be seen as a good shed, or possibly a small studio / den for the mad people who don't want a shed.

Organisation
I've been inspired by a thread at garagejournal and am planning to use french cleats extensively.

Location:
At present I'm thinking of putting it on the right hand side of the photo below, replacing the patio structure (BBQ area) with the corro panels.
Back.jpg

A shot from the deck - the shed would be on the left. I don't want it to dominate the area. I would have some plants along the side.
Deck.jpg

View back towards the house - there is a toilet window, and an existing store room (small but functional) - I'm thinking having the shed sitting a meter or so off the back wall, leaving a passage way, would be ok.
DeckBack.jpg
Attached Images


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor