new carbide chisels

samedi 30 mai 2015

Hi all,

At the last Melbourne wood show I bought a popular brand name carbide tip chisel. I thought it would be great not having to sharpen my HSS chisels any more and just rotate the carbide if it ever got blunt.

It really hasn't turned out as well as i would have liked. I tried it on a pen blank the other day and ended up swapping back to my HSS as the carbide just felt like a blunt, old HSS chisel. I also didn't like the bulky neck meaning i had to drop the tool rest to achieve the same approach. It might be okay for roughing out bowl blanks but i cant imagine it'll be much good for anything else?

Has anyone tried the HHS inserts? I don't really see the point of them though as I may as well just use my old chisels if I'm going down that path.

As usual, any advice is very appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ash.


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor