On 20th June 2012, in the thread Ebay Droppings Thread (post 921) I wrote
NZStu offered me a piece of New Zealand grown English Oak, and dropped it at my place a few weeks later.
I liked the mallet. It was a shape and weight that suited me, and I kept using it until it was a complete write-off and I just had to make a new head
Mt1ML.jpg Mt1aML.jpg
The oak was not thick enough to make the head in one piece, but I don't know that I have the skills to mortise a hole for a one piece head anyway, so my intention was to make a three-layer laminated head. In the end I made it two laminations, cutting the tapered slot for the handle with my SCMS.
Mt2ML.jpg Mt3ML.jpg
I should have taken more care to align the grain in both pieces :doh:.
NZStu hasnt posted here since 2013, but Id like to publicly thank him for so kindly giving me the timber. The mallet now has a new lease of life, and I have a good tool again. Thanks Stu.
Cheers, Vann.
NZStu offered me a piece of New Zealand grown English Oak, and dropped it at my place a few weeks later.
I liked the mallet. It was a shape and weight that suited me, and I kept using it until it was a complete write-off and I just had to make a new head
Mt1ML.jpg Mt1aML.jpg
The oak was not thick enough to make the head in one piece, but I don't know that I have the skills to mortise a hole for a one piece head anyway, so my intention was to make a three-layer laminated head. In the end I made it two laminations, cutting the tapered slot for the handle with my SCMS.
Mt2ML.jpg Mt3ML.jpg
I should have taken more care to align the grain in both pieces :doh:.
NZStu hasnt posted here since 2013, but Id like to publicly thank him for so kindly giving me the timber. The mallet now has a new lease of life, and I have a good tool again. Thanks Stu.
Cheers, Vann.
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire