I have a set of 3 Irwin "marples" chisels...the new marples....not the good marples. The steel is very soft which makes it easy to sharpen. They hold an edge sorta ok on soft stuff like Vic ash, but on a HARDwood like ironbark and spotted gum, the first end grain cut I make (for example, removing waste from dovetails..without hitting with a mallet) it breaks the edge apart so much that i can clearly see light bouncing off it. I hone the chisels to 30 degrees with a 2 degree micro bevel, whateva extra angle veritas honing jig adds for the microbevels. I hone to a level so that they are a little bit shiny at 6000grit king waterstone.
I'm after a set of chisels made from a harder steel, A2 steel seems ok but I have no experience with it, the PMV11 steel that i have in my block plane is very good, but the chisels are kinda expensive.
anyone know of a cheap set of chisels made from harder steel? and to beat you all to the punch, do the narex chisel edges hold up against the hardwoods?
I'm after a set of 4-5 1/4" -> 1" primarily for dovetail work so the beveled edges cant be too thick, and I also use chisels as shoulder planes on tenons because I'm too cheap buy a shoulder plane ;).
Priced under 200bux for the 4 chisels...50bux each.
I'm after a set of chisels made from a harder steel, A2 steel seems ok but I have no experience with it, the PMV11 steel that i have in my block plane is very good, but the chisels are kinda expensive.
anyone know of a cheap set of chisels made from harder steel? and to beat you all to the punch, do the narex chisel edges hold up against the hardwoods?
I'm after a set of 4-5 1/4" -> 1" primarily for dovetail work so the beveled edges cant be too thick, and I also use chisels as shoulder planes on tenons because I'm too cheap buy a shoulder plane ;).
Priced under 200bux for the 4 chisels...50bux each.
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire