What Mortise and tenon for a bed?

lundi 15 septembre 2014

I'm just about to start on a single bed for my 2 y/o son. Young I know but hoping he'll have it for another 20 ish years, or when ever he can't "live" without a double ;)



I've got a few designs in my head, all pretty traditional/conservative. I prefer simple, solid furniture that relies on a nice timber and oil finish for aesthetics. Whichever I go for it will have four sturdy posts (75-100mm square) and cross/long beams of about 50x200 with no tail board and a slatted head board. What I can't decide however is what style M&T to use to join the post and rails. On the last one I made for me and my wife I did a blind M&T with a 45* chamfer where the two rails met at each post. Then I pinned them with screws so I could knock them down. It works ok but I feel isn't ideal as there is a small amount of play now (7 years later and 3 house moves including from UK to aus).



Doing some search it seems wedge M&Ts are popular but this just looks too chunky and crude to me, I'd prefer something more classic with less protrusion. This is more suited to an outdoor table IMO.





This is "dovetailed and wedged tenon" I like the look of a lot. I could cut the tenon flush with the post, and end of the wedge. It seems like it'd be pretty strong with the wedge driven in hard and could be adjusted if it loosens. Also looks fairly simple to make. Has anyone used one of these? In a bed? I just need to visualise how it would work with the cross beam and long beam crossing at the post, but I'm sure it can be made to work by staggering them...





Or has anyone got any suggestions for a different joint? Don't want to use any steel fastenings... Timber will probably be yellow box or a blue gum (not sure which, took it down a couple of years ago and milled it up then) as I have a fair bit around. All joints cut by hand




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor