Raw MDF

samedi 13 septembre 2014

Hi,



I've had a 'temporary' MDF chest of drawers in my bedroom now for nearly 3 years. I knew from these forums that MDF can be quite nasty when cutting with a power saw due to the glues used. I was talking to a friend today who informed me it's also dangerous to leave unsealed so now I'm having a major anxiety attack. I've Googled the subject but it's hit and miss to find authoritative answers but enough to see it is not good news. Wiki mentions "Contains urea-formaldehyde which is a probable carcinogen and may cause allergy, eye and lung irritation when cutting and sanding" which is possibly what I heard before - it's dangerous when cutting.



Hoping someone can put my mind at ease here. I'm absolutely paranoid after losing my grandfather and father in law to Mesothelioma (asbestos cancer). My main concern is for my 5yo son who spends every other night in our bed (thus in proximity to the drawers). Secondly, I rushed out to Bunnings and bought some paint designed to seal MDF. I've applied it to the edges but would like to know if it should be applied to the faces too? They seem to have a slightly waxy coating which is making it difficult to adhere.



Thanks,

Richard.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor