Avoiding cracks in spindles from a tad much tailstock pressure...

jeudi 25 septembre 2014

I'm sure it's a problem we've all had at some time or another; turning a very thin spindle (or perhaps it's a brittle timber) and tightening the tailstock that wee tad too far and.... CRACK!



Normally, if I suspect there's a likelihood of this when turning knitting needles, lace bobbins and the ilk, I'll wrap the end with wire. For larger spindles I'll use hose clamps. Today, when turning some brittle cedar at work, I didn't have access to any of this type of kit. Sadly, I ruined a couple of blank... any more than the lightest pressure from the tailsock and the stuff splintered horribly, don't apply the pressure and the blank'd fly over my shoulder at the first touch of the tool. :sigh:



Then I decided to mark the centre & drill a small hole to drive a short (1/2") posidrive screw in, giving the tail spur something to register into without wedging the grain apart.



Waddya know? It worked! :hpydans2:



I have no problem seeing myself doing this again at need, instead of the wire wrap/hose clamp method.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor