OH, here's the position
So, I have spent a lot of time researching dust collection and I am in awe of people like Bob, Doug and many others who have taken it to an amazing but respectful and obviously necessary level.
Today I bought a Carbatec (= generic) 2 HP dust collector and cartridge filter to replace my old JET unit which sat on top of a 200 l drum and had a much smaller pleated paper filter. My installation is 100 PVC pipe running across the ceiling line in 3 branches with 100 mm flexibles dropping to permanent connection to the saw BUT the other 2 have 'dust right' connectors on the ends of the flexibles to be moved from machine to machine. I suspect the rash and current battle with asthma indicates that the whole system has been overwhelmed by the 16/32 flat bed sander?
Until I did my forum homework I did not know, but should have known, that the CFM drops alarmingly by simply being drawn through an orifice of reduced size and didn't require a long run through a tube of the same diameter to do so!
My 'test' to date is that I ran the old DC on 3 of my machines without the machines running until I could not hear anything being sucked out. Once I connected the new DC and repeated the process LOTS of dust and chips were drawn from the machines with nothing else changing?
I don't want to spend hours on making custom fittings I just want to do woodwork but it does amaze me that the manufacturers aren't already onto this by making after-market fittings??
After doing more study than I think I did for the 1967 HSC, I think I can justify and do the following
I'm hoping that this minimal (?) effort will give me an improvement although I know I will be left with the nagging feeling that I could have done more? The asthma and recent rash will probably guide me here!
For my portable tools, particularly ROS and Domino, I have been using a cr@ppy, screeching shop vac duct taped to the tool. I have a festool hose and fittings that allow me to plug into a 100mm gate suspended over the workbench but the pressure loss from 100mm flexible to the end of a long 32mm (?) hose is alarming! I am thinking that at least 100mm flex to the bench top and a MUCH shorter 32mm hose might be the go?
I do hate 'half measures' but........
(red spotted, rashy, coughing, wheezy and frustrated) fletty
- I'm a weekend warrior but, when I have a passionate project on the go, like now, I can be in the shed for about 20 hours per week
- I am chronic severe asthmatic
- I have just run my 30th City to Surf run (which proves the asthma is usually managed)
- i have a bushy moustache (which is important re respirators)
- yesterday the doc told me that the severe rash on my neck, wrists, ankles is from a "reaction to an airborne contaminant" (= australian red cedar airborne dust?)
- i hope to retire next year and spend MORE time in the shed
- I could give up Australian red cedar but NOT the moustache NOR Shiraz which has a whole different impact on me
So, I have spent a lot of time researching dust collection and I am in awe of people like Bob, Doug and many others who have taken it to an amazing but respectful and obviously necessary level.
Today I bought a Carbatec (= generic) 2 HP dust collector and cartridge filter to replace my old JET unit which sat on top of a 200 l drum and had a much smaller pleated paper filter. My installation is 100 PVC pipe running across the ceiling line in 3 branches with 100 mm flexibles dropping to permanent connection to the saw BUT the other 2 have 'dust right' connectors on the ends of the flexibles to be moved from machine to machine. I suspect the rash and current battle with asthma indicates that the whole system has been overwhelmed by the 16/32 flat bed sander?
Until I did my forum homework I did not know, but should have known, that the CFM drops alarmingly by simply being drawn through an orifice of reduced size and didn't require a long run through a tube of the same diameter to do so!
My 'test' to date is that I ran the old DC on 3 of my machines without the machines running until I could not hear anything being sucked out. Once I connected the new DC and repeated the process LOTS of dust and chips were drawn from the machines with nothing else changing?
I don't want to spend hours on making custom fittings I just want to do woodwork but it does amaze me that the manufacturers aren't already onto this by making after-market fittings??
After doing more study than I think I did for the 1967 HSC, I think I can justify and do the following
- As the impeller blade ID is about 125mm, I'll open up the DC inlet port to 125mm
- I'll fit a generous radius of 125mm flexible to a (new) 125mm PVC riser to the ceiling
- fit a (new) 125mm PVC elbow and (new) 125mm horizontal PVC main lines across the ceiling
- where I can easily fit 125 mm ports to equipment ( TS, jointer?) I will run 125 mm flexibles to them
- to the others (which unfortunately includes the flat bed sander) I'll continue with 100mm flexible and dust right fittings
I'm hoping that this minimal (?) effort will give me an improvement although I know I will be left with the nagging feeling that I could have done more? The asthma and recent rash will probably guide me here!
For my portable tools, particularly ROS and Domino, I have been using a cr@ppy, screeching shop vac duct taped to the tool. I have a festool hose and fittings that allow me to plug into a 100mm gate suspended over the workbench but the pressure loss from 100mm flexible to the end of a long 32mm (?) hose is alarming! I am thinking that at least 100mm flex to the bench top and a MUCH shorter 32mm hose might be the go?
I do hate 'half measures' but........
(red spotted, rashy, coughing, wheezy and frustrated) fletty
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire