Pain and the brain - 'neuro orthopaedics'

mardi 18 mars 2014

Normally my joint problems get dealt with in conjunction with the physio and sometimes meds as well. On one occasion the physio said the way I was breathing was stopping improvement in my back. I thought this was mind-over-matter bullcrap but the guy was right. I was getting out of bed and tensing up expecting pain. But when I got out breathing freely the back eased off and the problem went.



I now have neck and shoulder pain and four months of physio and HD meds has reduced it and thrown up some interesting stuff. An pill will stop the pain for the rest of the day, even after it's worn off. If I do some light work when the tightness and pain start to fire up it will often stop for the rest of the day.



My GP suggested looking at a cortisone injection. I've had these in the hip but they only lasted a week. I looked up the systematic reviews of spine use studies and there were only two old ones, relating to facet joints in the low back. Both concluded that the major factors explaining improvement were your mind and your context.



The physio suggested looking at some of the recent research on pain. An Aussie is a world leader in the field. He's a good speaker. Here's a Youtube vid:







If that got your interest, take a look as well at the talk by Tasha Stanton at the same event. She goes into therapies that follow from that kind of thinking. Still very early days though.



If you like Moseley, he's co-written a couple of books:



Explain Pain, $22 as an ebook via Google Play, or in hard copy

and the funny Painful Yarns, $16.50 as a PDF book at http://ift.tt/1j1xn1C




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor