Pimping my Dovetail Plane

dimanche 30 mars 2014

Several years ago I built a dovetail plane that shaped the male section of a sliding dovetail ...







Based on a derelict skew rebate plane, it wasn't much of a looker, but it got the job done.







The build pictorial is here: http://ift.tt/1fD2LN5



About 18 months ago I bought a HNT Gordon dado plane, which is a superb performer and stunning looking plane. I was inspired to build another dovetail plane, this time one that planed the female/matching joint. I styled it to match the dado plane (on the right) ...







Used together, they make a great team ..





Build details are here: http://ift.tt/1fD2Kc3



Now, in a couple of weeks I shall join Terry Gordon (HNT Gordon Planes), Colen Clenton and Chris Vesper (tool makers extrordinaire) at the LN Perth Tool Event, where I will be demonstrating making joints with hand tools. I decided that one of the joints I shall make will be the sliding dovetail. In addition to saw-and-chisel, I plan to use the dovetail planes.



That's when I looked at the dovetail plane and thought that it could do with a face lift. Well, a face lift that improved its functionality as well.



Targeted was the depth stop and the fence. In the original versions they required a hex key to adjust the bolts. This is a limitation - much better to be able to do so without a special tool.



The stained and tired beech body was stained Jarrah to match the other planes, and a bit of bling was added with brass. This is how it turned out ...











Behind the depth stop is the nicker ...







The one-piece Jarrah fence has a brass face. This was very difficult to photograph and obtain an informative perspective ...











Here is the family shot ..







Regards from Perth



Derek




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor