WIP: "Insane Lapping" or "RSG's Aerobic Workout"

samedi 29 mars 2014

Both my bandsaw and 6" jointer, while very happily purchased (and used) from other forum members, have had some little issues in regards to flatness and coplanararity (that's MY word, I have copyright on it :q)



While I understand that wood moves seasonally etc, I always figured that it's best to start working from the most accurate place you can and then allow things to deteriorate (either naturally or through sheer laziness and inaccuracy). So I decided that I should remove the "little" problems on both machines and lap the guts out of the tables.



Now I'm sure many of you are going to say that I needn't bother doing to this...well, pooh to you :q I have the time and I'm mad enough to do it (with the documentation to prove it) :U



I started with the jointer's outfeed table (at the same time as the bandsaw table) and you can see by the texta marks how "out of whack" they are.



After a bit of work the jointer table is currently .05mm out from long edge to end (which is probably ok) and the bandsaw table still has a .30mm bowl remaining right at the "insert area".



I did the bandsaw table by itself on the sandpaper (40g) first and have now mounted it in place as I get closer to truly flat (as the depth of the bowling changed when mounted). The jointer table is ready to be mounted (not pictured) to make sure that any contraction while attached is catered for.



I know that with the jointer specifically that both tables are supposed to be ground/lapped in place on the machine body, but I just didn't have the piece of glass (or patience) to do such a long/wide job...so I'll continue using shims in the slide grooves, which has proven to be an ok method of balancing the tables to each other.



Hopefully I'll post a few more pics in a few days which will show how much "flatter" everything is. But by golly it's a bit of a workout moving such big and heavy things around...just call me Mr Sweaty Chest :o


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor