basic gas torch vocabulary for newbs

dimanche 30 mars 2014

When I read the different metalwork books from the library, various home made tools are portrayed as relatively easy exercises.



You just go to the shed, shape up a bit of silver steel then heat to "straw" or "cherry red" then either quench in oil/water, cool in air then maybe reheat or chuck it in a tin full of sand in the oven when nobody is looking and hey presto you have a new home made gizmo. Precise instructions are usually given in the books.



As a starting exercise, I tried to heat up some metal with a little gas torch and there wasn't even the slightest hint of a colour change.



Suspect I have to get a much bigger flame.



My little gas torch screws directly into a tiny gas cylinder - easily held in one hand - what do I need to buy to get little bits of metal red hot ?



any good web sites or previous threads to get me started learning what I need to buy ? Am not sure of the right words to search for in google / ebay / gumtree etc



Bill




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor