two identical townhouses except...

vendredi 20 novembre 2015

Both built in 1932. Both never renovated since at least 20 years or so.

One is for $ 565, in decent shape, bathrooms and kitchen are ugly, but well maintained.
One is for $ 535, inbad shape, bathrooms and kitchen are hideous,bad condition. Seperated in two units, so has two kitchens so will have to get rid of one.

Otherwise identical.

I am tempted to go for $565 since I can do some updates on kitchen and bathroom and will be happy living with it after I add a deck. It is very livable and I don't need the latest and greatest. The location of both is very very hot.

BUT my friend is telling me that since both are old and not renovated in 20 years, updating the kitchen and bathrooms is a waste of time, since I will eventually have major problems and would need to rip out things here and there, so I might as well go for the cheaper place and do full renovation from top to bottom.

My question is two fold:

- Is my friend right that renovating a kitchen and bathroom on that well maintained place is a waste of time, since that in the eventual electrical problem or plumbing or water problem I will have to do full update and open walls destroying renovations I just put in place? if she is right then I should go for 535 and renovate. although I really don't feel like taking on a major project.

- Both pacaes are 1230 sqft townhouses (next to each other). How much and long would a renovate typically take/cost? I know this sounds a dumb question as it depends on what I do. My friend is perhaps crazy suggesting that I can do a decent (but not top of the line renovation) with cheap contractors for less than 50K? not counting addition of deck.

Any thoughts are MUCH appreciated. The deadline for offers is fast approaching. I must mention that I am going through stressful times that I why I have a preference for less involved renovation so long as the improvement I do on the better on (565) will not be a waste of money.

THANKS!!


Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...


two identical townhouses except...

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor