Postscript to purchase of a new vacuum cleaner

mardi 10 novembre 2015

My Fein vac quit a few weeks ago - well it was working intermittently, the auxiliary power had gone, and the automatic on/off for a plugged in tool (such as the router) no longer worked.

I took it back to the agent, All Tools, who quoted a $33 service charge, but would give me a quote if any repairs were needed. The quote came back at over $400 for a new control board. (I paid $550 new 5 years ago, so no warrantee. With the AUD low, the new price is now $850).


I thought that repair was just madness, and so I decided to put the money towards a Festool CT26E instead (thanks to a kind wife), which I did.

The agent (Jeff) called me yesterday to find out if I wanted to do the repair. I asked him what might have caused it. He said that he could not tell. I asked if it might have been static (see my recent thread on this issue). He replied that this was unlikely - "sometimes they just give up".

Then he mentioned that the motor still worked. I asked him whether the vac would still function if he could by-pass the control board. He said, "what a clever idea", and "I'll see what I can do". What a great guy!

He called back later to say that the vac was now working without the control board - no extra power point and no variable speed, but it worked at full speed (which is how I used it generally). Cost of repair? $33!

Regards from Perth

Derek


Postscript to purchase of a new vacuum cleaner

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor