Filling pine knots and dings - wisdom needed

jeudi 12 novembre 2015

I've been doing a lot of pine recently. Nice stuff - siberian grown baltic pine. Tight rings with few knots and next to no sap at all.

Its not much by any commercial scale - but I do use 30 to 36 metres of it cut down in slats and other things... which leaves me with 120-odd metres of finishing to do a week.

Up to now its been Polyfilla Trim and doors.

I've absolutely no complaint about it at all. It dries fast, sands well and does a good job. The only real negative is the fact its white. The other is price at ~$13 for 330ml. Under painted things its no problem, but I've a few jobs now where the client has wanted the wood to be sprayed in nitro, poly or shellac.

Looking around, I found a tip to use auto body filler. Car bog! It can be tinted so to match the pine quite nicely. Its bulk, cheap, dries hard and fast and is completely sandable.

Does anyone have any tips or comments for bulk filling of timber knots and holes that might be used in larger workshops? I was thinking of those rustic pine furniture sellers - what do they use?

cheers!


Filling pine knots and dings - wisdom needed

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor