Dangers of breaking taps *GRAPHIC IMAGES*

mardi 10 novembre 2015

Hi Guys,
I've been a little quiet of late but i think this one is one of those eye openers i had to share.

I've been working from home part time (4 days a week) for over a year now, mostly on knifemakers tools and equipment.
For all my tapping i use a piper tapping chuck in the Hercus camelback, it is a great paring.

I try to avoid blind holes due to the risks of bottoming out the tap, and when i do i try to leave a decent amount of clearance. There are times however it cannot be avoided.

On Wednesday i was tapping M6, and i had to get as much thread as i could in the holes (about 150 of them, so hand tapping was not a really viable option) as i only had 12mm of material thickness.

Despite drilling them in the mill one hole must have been shallow, and inevitably the tap (spiral flute HSS-E Dormer) bottomed out and "exploded".

A piece hit me on the inside of the elbow, and i heard a few hitting things behind me. Ouch, get over it, move on!

Fast forward to today with a nice yellow bruise and hard lump. Surely there is not a bit in there?

A test with an N50 neodymium magnet soon proved me wrong. Pictures show the rest!

I tend to be a bit lax some days with my safety glasses. It's only drilling and tapping right, what could happen? Not any more!

Cheers,
Ew
Attached Images




Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com...


Dangers of breaking taps *GRAPHIC IMAGES*

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor