Putting a centre in rough stock

mardi 10 novembre 2015

I have 20 or so metres of 2 5/16” steel round that I’m slowly working my way through. It came from a farm auction where it had been lying in the grass for many a year, the surface is rusted and pitted, from time to time I debark a piece. The key to all this of course is to drill the stock for the live centre

There are many ways of putting a centre in long stock, for me, because the debarking is a repeat process it made sense to make a cat head to use with my fixed steady.

The cat head.


The cat headÂ’s mate, it lives on the shelf with the cat head. This stub of the rough round is what I use to set up the fixed steady at the chuck.


Cat head mounted on the stub, fixed steady set up on the cat head.


Long stock in the chuck, cat head and steady at the outboard end of the stock, centre drilled.


Cleaning up the length. HSS, 70 RPM, slow feed. I usually put a light smear of grease on the stock as a cheap cutting lube/dust&rust suppressant but its still a messy job, you can see all the crap on top of the cutter.



Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com...


Putting a centre in rough stock

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor