Thermal Expansion of Table Tops

dimanche 8 novembre 2015

Hi All,

I’m currently building a rectangular table with a centralframe, such that the table top overhangs about 100mm across each long edge and about400mm on each short edge. The table top is made from 25mm thick birds eyestringybark timber, and due to the overhang, the outer board on each long edgeis supported by nothing other than glue and biscuits.
The table that I’ve modeled my table off had the sameoverhangs, similar thickness, but used teak instead. They also attached 3 sectionsof flat steel on the underside of the table (running across the width of thetable), which I can only presume is included to provide some support for theouter boards.

I was planning on doing the same thing with a section offlat bar steel, but am unsure if this will constrain the timber too much sothat it can’t thermally contract and expand as timber normally would.
If anyone has any advise on if I should be worried or notabout the table top thermally expanding and contracting against the steel, Iwould love to hear it.
I should also note that I was already planning on attachingthe table top to the frame to ensure sufficient thermal expansion/contractionalong the length of the table (with the grain)
Cheers
Brownie


Thermal Expansion of Table Tops

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor