Gloat - Tsushima Nagura & Kikuhiromaru Mentori Usu-nomi

lundi 9 novembre 2015

Today I was the lucky recipient of a package from So aka japan-tools.com. In this package came a massive brick going by the name of Tsushima Nagura, the stone has a heavy black urushi coated on the sides and the bottom, the Tsushima Nagura, has a reputation for cracking. This stone is my second natural to compliment my Ohira Namito. The Tsushima Nagura is rated about #6000 grit. I gave it spin around this evening and its one sweet stone. Nice and hard just the way I like my stones. The beauty of the Tsushima Nagura is that it refines the steel preparing it for the Ohira Namito rated at #20000. Up to now I have up to now struggled to get the most out of my Ohira Namito in regards of getting a consistent sharp edge, however the Tsushima Nagura refines the steel to such a degree that the it is now easy to gets a beautiful defect free surface, in terms of having zero errant scratches left from the courser stones, under magnification I now have a soft mottled grey speckled surface at 100 magnification.

I now have to save my pennies to get a #2000 git natural. :doh: A slippery slope indeed.






The second part of my package I got three Kikuhiromaru Mentori Usu-nomi (thin long handle paring chisels) with white oak handles at 6mm, 12mm & 18mm. The edge landings are nice and fine, without being so thin that they cut your hands. I am a big fan of Kikuhiromaru chisels, there edge retention and chip resistants is second to none and I have tried Tasai. Last year I purchased a Kikuhiromaru 24mm Kaku-uchi oire-nomi, to get a feel for his craftsmanship. This brings my Kikuhiromaru to four. I had a go setting up the 18mm chisel today. The ura was good for most part. One corner at the very leading edge was a little low, it took some effort to get the ura nice and flat without deforming the hollow. Note how beautiful the mimi (ears) are on the lamination line. Kikuhiromaru does amazing work.




I hope to add a 24mm and 42 mm Kikuhiromaru Mentori Usu-nomi w/ white oak sometime in the next six months.

Attached Images


Gloat - Tsushima Nagura & Kikuhiromaru Mentori Usu-nomi

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor