Christmas is getting closer!!!

dimanche 22 novembre 2015

Had a ball in my shed today, so decided to try out my new Robert Sorby Ring Tool. On the Norwegian Woodturning Cruise in 2014, I was lucky enough to spend some time with Asmond Vignes from Norway, who is apparently one of the northern hemisphere experts with the ring tool. He was a tough teacher, but I seem to have remembered at least some of what he taught me. Asmund made wooden bells so thin that ordinary sunlight was visible through the wood in most cases. His bells were about 75 mm at the bottom, and about 85 mm high, and to my eyes, perfect every time. It may have something to do with the fact that he has been turning for a long time as a professional.

Anyway, I successfully completed the five bells in the photos, from Silky Oak (1), Kauri (3), and "another timber". They are all turned from stock about 50x50x80 mm, and finish about 45x45 mm, with one a bit smaller than the others. My technique still needs a lot of refining, but it was good fun, and I am pretty happy with the results. I can see through parts of most of them against my lathe LED light, so just keep practicing. The finish is EEE and Shellawax. Doug.100_2321.jpg100_2323.jpg100_2325.jpg I hope my turning is better than my photography!!
Attached Images


Christmas is getting closer!!!

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor