Camel back, squares, scrapers and cast surface plate.

mercredi 25 novembre 2015

Thanks to a post from greg_n I recently won, as in the title, some good gear.
As a follow up I caught up with Phil M last Sat and as always had a great yak and top lunch at a local Viet eatery. As Phil does, he passed on some interesting info of work he is doing, bloody dark on him though as he is monopolising the market in Biax scrapers.
He gave me a jar of Prussian blue powder that he purchased from an arts supplier in Fitzroy so tonight I thought I would mix up a half batch. 10 g of powder to 50 of the Kingchrome pale grease from Bunnings.
MMM note to self, mix carefully, powder will puff, cloud out, so the stainless sink is actually porous.
Mix Mix maybe I shouldn't have grabbed a mug out of the cupboard, turns out they are porous.
Mix feels a bit stiff, hey place in microwave and give it a bit of a zap. Bugger micro buttons are now blue and door and taps and windex bottle, only bonus is windex actually cleans up well. Hey I have a full box of medical gloves on the kitchen bench, why didn't I put some on.
The blue looks very dark in the container but when on fingers and, copious amounts of paper towel looks ok. Will put some on the granite plate tomorrow night.
So as I hadn't really done any scraping since the last Phil, Marko enlightenment what the heck how hard can a 500 X 230 cast surface plate be to scrape by hand.
Mmmm hard, hint Phil a Biax would be nice, must say Phil did offer to let me borrow a Biax but at this stage I am not ready to attack the Elliott lathe.
I think I am about 5 cycles away from having the cast plate reading around 20 points, nice, guess 6 hrs work, was low in the middle like an oval but not excessive if I blued a bit thicker there was a good coverage. Got to love reading the rub, dark, light, lighter and what looks shines almost grey. The high high spots.
When I picked up the gear it turned out there were another 2 straight edges, 1 smaller than the 3ft that is in good nick, that I will scrape in, only been ground. The smaller is pitted and needs machining and grind, then there was a nice camel back straight edge with dovetail edge, needs machining and grind.
And yes magic from Phil and Marko will put me in a place from no masters to 3.
Cheers
Bruce


Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com...


Camel back, squares, scrapers and cast surface plate.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor