Shoulder Plane Confusion

jeudi 30 juillet 2015

Hello All,

I'm a newcomer to the forums and I've got a few questions about shoulder planes that I'd be thankful to get some answers on.

I don't currently own any shoulder planes but am looking a purchasing my first one. The toss-up is between the LN and LV brands. From the research I've done so far, a lot of people seem to give the nod to the LV planes. The LN now has an adjustable mouth as I understand it, so the two primary reasons people prefer the LV are a. the ergonomics (of holding it, the rotating knobs), and b. the set screws that hold the blade.

My question pertains to those set screws.

Having no experience with shoulder planes (but being aware of what they are used for) I watched one of the LN videos on setting up or preparing your shoulder plane. Part of the video shows the plane being placed on its side on a flat surface, the cap iron screw loosened, and the blade being pushed down so its edge lies on the same "plane" as the side of the shoulder plane. In other words, ensuring the side projection of the blade is aligned with the plane body.

Do people tend to use only one side of the plane to register against the workpiece, or do they tend to use either side of the plane for registration depending on what they are doing? Obviously each time you switch sides you need to realign your blade to that side, unless you are lucky enough for your plane blade to have the exact same width as the body.

If it's the latter, that leaves me wondering just how useful the set screws are on the Veritas shoulder plane - it leaves me thinking that most users only register off one face of the plane.

Can someone shed a light please?

Thanks

Kevin


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor