Some Bird events.

vendredi 31 juillet 2015

This post was inspired by Hungry's post in the carving forum in which he shows a noisy miner that has crashed through a window.

I remember as a kid that every morning a pee-wee would attack its reflection in the next door neighbour's bathroom widow. As
a little tacker this always intrigued me. This sort of sight is familiar to all of us I guess and I gues we have all seen the results of
birds having crashed into a window.

When I was building the house on the farm I had such an incident. I had installed the first of three large sliding doors and not long after heard a thud.
On checking I found a dead bird that I did not recognize, except for the fact that it was a finch of some kind. Checking revealed it to be a European
gold finch, a very attractive bird it was too.

The following summer I was picking oranges and found a black shouldered kite impaled on a dead branch of one tree. It must have dived on its prey
and miscued or failed to see the branch.

Another time my first wife was driving out of the Yanco Agricultural Research Station through which runs the Main irrigation canal. As she crossed the
bridge over the canal a duck fell from the sky. The unfortunate duck had been fling along the canal and hit the power lines, where they crossed the
canal at the bridge, and thereby broken its neck. We had duck for dinner the next night.

One time out in south western NSW a mate and I watched in astonishment as wedge tailed eagle landed on a kangaroo carrying a joey. The 'roo immediately
turned for the grey box trees where it succeeded in knocking the eagle from its back.

I once watched a pompous pelican as it eyed a flock of cormorants drive a shoal of fish toward the shallow waters along the shore of a lake. At the
appropriate time the pelican waddled to the water and started cruising among the cormorants. I soon discovered why it had done this. A cormorant near it
dived and came up with a fish . Our pelican friend grabbed the cormorant by the throat, shook it and retrieved the fish. This happened to several other
unsuspecting cormorants before our imperious friend was satiated.

Pelicans enjoy soaring on thermal currents and I have seen them soar to enormous heights and some among them will then point their beaks to the ground
and dive. As the bird gathers speed it and the air rushes over its feathers a whistling sound sets up. On reaching a certain point the pelican opens its wings
and a loud "wump" is heard. How the wings are not ripped off our feathered friends I will never know.

How many others amongst our number have had interesting bird encounters.?


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor