Lathe Spindle

lundi 1 décembre 2014

I got hold of a old used lathe spindle that is 1" diameter, has 1-8TPI threads on the end with a 2MT socket. No bearings came with it, do I need the bearings since I plan on building an OT based on the Jack Chicks and Geoff OLaughlin rose engine lathes. My idea is to make both end supports out of 10" long pieces of 2x4, then, then cut off 1" on each of them. Drill and tap the end of the long pieces and drill the short pieces so I can bolt them back to the top of the supports. Drill in the center of the cut off a 1" hole of the haft to fit in.



I figure I will get a pretty snug fit on the spindle shaft, then soak each hole with some synthetic oil and I also plan to provide a way to keep it oiled a little. Being that the RE is hand turned, it's my theory that it's not going to get hot and the oil will keep it for wearing out the hole.



Anybody know if this theory will work? Or am I over thinking it?



Jack Chick's site http://ift.tt/1vHjxou



I have no clue on who made this one, but thanks for the picture. It sort of shows how I explained the idea of cutting and bolting it back together works.







Thanks.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor