Lathe bearing lifetimes?

samedi 27 décembre 2014

Gday all,



A quick sort of question, I hope. I have a Cougar EVS250, which is an absolute cracker of a lathe. Tons of power.



No real issues, but I was turning a large number of spheres for the new family Christmas Tree and noticed a bit of growling coming from the bearings as I held the spheres in place.



I use a fairly simple jig of two chucks, each holding the equivalent of an egg cup. The tailstock one is mounted via a rather interesting doodad sold by Gary Pye (Tailstock Chuck Adaptor). I make it pretty tight to hold the sphere as I rotate it through the three requisite 90-degree machinings. (I love making them, really easy!)



Anyway, it gets away from me..... how long can one expect a set of bearings in the head stock to last? Is it reasonable to assume that they are big meaty thrust style bearings?



Is this something you worry about replacing after a few thousand hours of turning? If they are "groany" after only a short use, is this a cause of complaint/warranty?





006-1.jpg 007-1.jpg DSC07916 (685x1024) (535x800).jpg


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor