How Do I Repair a Split Table Top ?

dimanche 28 décembre 2014

I have an old Aussie Red Cedar Table that I've inherited from a family member. We're not sure how old the table is ... but guesses based on older family member's memories are that it is either early 20th or late 19th century - rough enough. The table may be old, but I don't think it falls into the valuable antique category. But it does have sentimental value to the family.



Unfortunately, the table top has split right down the middle for the full length of the table top (about 1.2 meters). Initially I thought that the split was along an old glue line, but as the split is not parallel to the long edge of the table, I'm guessing that it's unlikely to be a glue line failure.



I had initially been expecting that I could simply joint the edges of the split and glue the top back together. But after thinking that process through I realised that it would be hard to keep the ends of the table straight, and as the split is not straight, I may loose up to an inch of timber jointing the edges. Adding new timber into the table top would not be preferable as I'd have a very hard time matching the old Red Cedar.



So, my question is - What is the best way to repair a split table top ?



Thanks,



Roy




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor