My First Workbench Build (6' English Style)

dimanche 28 décembre 2014

I am currently building a workbench following Paul Seller’s build series on youtube, using radiata pine. I finished the H frame legs first, so that I would have something to work on, and they came together pretty well. In the end the finish isn’t perfect because the pine marks easily, and I got sick of ironing out the dents. Once I put a coat of danish oil on, the surface firmed up and it doesn’t appear to be as much of an issue. I will post pics later.



I am posting now because I am working on the aprons, laminating together some more radiata pine. The only lumber I could get my hands on was pretty rough, but picking through the lot I managed to find enough boards without too many defects, or defects only on the ends or edges. I sawed them to length from 8′ to 6′, and used the bandsaw to rip them to remove the bevel/chamfer on the edges (which was pretty excessive) and any bad knots.



The difficulty I am having is in edge planing the boards straight and true. If I can get them within a mile of square, I can joint them in pairs, so that’s not too bad, but with 6′ lengths I am really struggling to get them straight. Even with a very fine set on my no5 I seem to wind up with a very concave joint line. I got my no7 out of storage, but the sole is slightly convex, so I’m not sure if that’s going the be any improvement.



Am I doing something wrong? If I could get the gap down to the point where I could close it by hand it would be ok for gluing up, but right now the gap between boards is about 5mm.



Any advice would be greatly appreciated.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor