Faking it when you cant make it

samedi 27 décembre 2014

I really love the look of wood that comes right off the tool when its sharp and leaves an incredible burnished look.



It happens predominantly with the skew, a little pressure, high speeds and a good clean and authoritative cut.



It absolutely shines... shimmers.



Trouble is, touch it with sandpaper - even to super high grits - and you never get it back.



As I'm a rubbish turner, is there a way to fake such a result? Most of my work I'm still farting around stabbing and being indecisive and rely on - shock horror - 120, 180 and 400 grit cloth backed sanding.



Can one get an old chisel and sacrifice it on the 180 CBN and make a "Burnish facer".... a tool with just has 5 (4 sides and the "front") finely ground surfaces (like a 4000 grit "file") and simply pressure-rub this all over the finished work with the lathe going flat out?



Yeah, yeah, yeah, improve my technique everyone will yell... but until I get there, is this "done"?



image6 (1024x765).jpg


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor