Uneven drying and what to do with it.

mardi 2 décembre 2014

I have done a search for this but to no avail.



I have a lump of wood, about 160mm in diameter and a 130mm high that has just the outside roughed off. It has been drying in the backyard for a few months, without the benefit of any sealer, so a lot of the wood has had to be removed because of cracking. What I have left has some wet spots in it, but most of it is dry. Probably about a third of the wood is moist/wet.



What would be the best thing to do with this in regard to getting the whole piece to roughly the same moisture level? At the moment I have it in a plastic bag, thinking that the moisture might equalise. If it was evenly moist, I would turn it to "thick" and run it through the microwave enough times before finishing turning and slapping some WOP on it.



For what it is worth, the timber is a paperbark ti-tree, more than likely Weeping Paperbark, from a place up the Fitzroy River. I have turned a bowl from it wet (really wet!) and microwaved it. Soft as wet, hard dry, and the finished product did not really excite me as the wood is a bit bland. The property owners seemed to like it though.



Your advice would be appreciated,

Alister.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor