12vDC/240vAC Inverter used for 2 way fridge.

mardi 2 décembre 2014

With some trepidation I ask these questions, as I have seen similar discussions generate much heated discussion on other forums.



I am a member of the Classic Caravan forum, and 18 months ago, came across a solution for anyone with a 2 way fridge to safely operate their fridge while in motion. Before anyone asks, my van is circa 1973 with an Electrolux 2 way absorption fridge, which according to a fridge guy I spoke with can't be easily retrofitted with a 12v heating element.



For the last 40 years, the fridge has run on gas while in motion. :no: :no: :no:

Since picking up the van a couple of years ago, this has been on my list to fix.



So, the solution (in my case) is to run a 120AH VRLA AGM battery in the van, connected to a Powertec 600w inverter (Jaycar), with a socket RCD installed, connected to the fridge running on 240v.



However, I am a little unsure about the grounding requirements.



1. The inverter documentation says



"On the rear panel of the inverter is a terminal fitted with a wing-nut. This terminal is connected to the case of the inverter and also to the earth terminal of the AC output socket .... In a vehicle where the inverter is wired directly to the battery, the earth terminal is simply connected to the vehicle chassis."



My plan at the moment is to install a pretty heavy lead (lets say 4 gauge) onto said terminal on the inverter, punch a hole through the floor and use one of the bolts on the van chassis.



Is this the correct approach ? The earth wire would need to be of similar size to the positive and neutral wire between battery and inverter right ? (which ... are pretty chunky).



2. Should the van battery also have an earth lead ? If so, of what size ? In which case, I can create an earth terminal in my battery box and consolidate earth connections.



3. Does anyone have any recommendations on a suitably sized breaker/fuse ? Are these manually resetting breakers the go ? or just a simple spade fuse ?



Any help appreciated.



Glenn.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor