A bit of practice

mardi 2 décembre 2014

I haven't been saying much on the forums lately, but I have been getting in a bit of practice.

Instead of my beloved carbide tools, I've been putting in a lot more time with traditional bowl and spindle gouges. I think I'm almost beginning to get the hang of it. No catches for a while, and my off-the-tool finish is improving.



First up, for some bowl gouge practice, especially with thin(nish) walls, I made a few pale Meranti bowls. (Nice and cheap.)



They didn't come up too bad, although one is a bit thick and thin as it changes from end to side grain. (Too much sanding.)

150mm dia and 45mm tall with roughly 3.5mm walls, finished in oil-based satin WOP.



a. Top.jpg b. Side.jpg c. Bottom.jpg





While I was in bowl mode, I made a little White Beech bowl, in the same shape as the Meranti ones. (Love this timber, it's beautiful to turn and finish.)

125mm diameter, 35mm tall, 3mm walls, finished in oil-based WOP.



Top.JPG Side.JPG Bottom.JPG





Next up was some spindle turning practice. I only got my first spindle gouge a few weeks ago, so didn't push too hard on my first project, a little bud vase in New Guinea Rosewood.

It's 135mm tall and 50mm diameter with an 11mm x 75mm plastic tube insert. The eBay listing said 83mm long, but that's including the stopper, it turns out. I'll have to try to get some slightly larger ones.

It's finished in oil-based satin WOP. (The flowers aren't real - they're cheap silk ones from eBay.)



Front with flowers.JPG 75 x 11 Plastic Test Tubes.JPG





Finally, a (sort-of) goblet-shaped tealight candle holder from Southern Silky Oak. The overall shape isn't real good and the stem is a bit chunky, but it was good practice. I have a better one in the works, almost finished.

This one is 130mm tall, 48mm tealight hole, 14mm x 50mm stem, (collar-to-collar.

Sealed with shellac/talc grain filler, then finished in oil-based gloss WOP and lined with a 48mm glass insert.



a. Side.JPG b. Top.JPG





All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for looking.


Attached Images






0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor