Schaublin's Universal Vice, the No.36.

samedi 28 mars 2015

A while back I commented on the very neat Riken centring vice Glen " BrianLara400" had been using while making parts for his Ross rifle - http://ift.tt/1BHga1I. Michael G remembered the vice and my comment when, while visiting a second hand tool seller's shop, he saw a vaguely similar vice. The vice wasn't centring like the Riken but it was rounded in a similar fashion. The vice rotated on both the vertical and horizontal axis. It had no maker's markings.



Michael sent me an email asking if I was interested. I knew of two vices that rotated on two axes, one being an American vice but it wasn't rounded off like the Riken. The other was Schaublin's rarer than rare universal vice, the No. 36. I forwarded Michael an image from the 1961 Schaublin 13 catalogue and at the same time Michael sent me a photo from Tony Griffiths' Lathes site. The vice in the shop was the 36. Michael purchased it for me the following morning.



I had seen photos of a damaged 36 on a Swiss machine forum. The vice has an internal 24 position indexing collar behind the rear jaw. On the damaged vice, about 5 of the indexing holes were torn away. I mentioned my fear of similar damage being concealed within the vice ( the owner of the damaged vice replaced the entire indexing collar ) so Michael dismantled the vice. There was no damage and very little evidence of wear. The large domed end cap locks the slide in the barrel and prevents rotation. To have destroyed the indexing collar a catastrophic crash must have occurred. Schaublin provided the same vice as an accessory for the much larger and more powerful 53 mill though I'm sure the 13's 2 horsepower would be capable enough of ruining a vice or two.



The handle is a lookalike " knocked " up by Michael. It is better than the original which appears to be a pressed up affair.



The question some might ask is why a accessory such as this would end up in a second hand shop in Adelaide. I reckon it's a refugee from the Weapons Research Establishment at Salisbury. Might have even been fitted to my mill at some stage, who would know?



What I do know is, thanks to Michael's limitless generosity, I now have a vice that previously I never even bothered to dream about owning, the chances of ownership being pretty close to zero.



Thank you Michael.



BT



PS. I will post Michael's photos of his dissection later.





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor