Another MARS lathe. Model Unknown.

dimanche 29 mars 2015

Hi All,



As promised from my welcome thread, some pics of the MARS lathe.

I will take a heap of photos during the process.

Hopefully it will provide some reference material to others wanting to know how these go together once I've sorted it out.



I got it home and into the shed today.

I've started to look at the condition of it, but haven't had too much time to digest or figure out exactly what will be required to get it running to a reasonable standard.

My difficulty is that the previous owners received the lathe in bits and put it together (loosely).

So I don't know what is missing, or if he has assembled it correctly.



First thoughts:



1) Needs a good clean (obviously).

mars lathe (Small).jpg



2) I was told the powerfeed didn't work. I can see a final gear in the gearbox with a missing tooth and some mig tack welds.



I have yet to sit down and work out if that gear is long enough, original, needs to be welded there, and how that drives the powerfeed shaft and/or the leadscrew.



It looks to me like the gear needs to be longer to take up the rest of the length of the shaft. Then it won't need to be tak welded, and would engaged both of the gears driving the powerfeed and lead screw.



The gears attached to the end of the leadscrew and drive shaft are not spaced/shimmed correctly at all and the castellated nuts are at the end of the available thread.

If anyone with a similar machine (I know there aren't many around) could give me an idea or a photo of what should be there, I would greatly appreciate it.



gearbox (Small).jpgspot weld (Small).jpgdrive shaft (Small).jpg





3) Back gears are missing completely, hence I will only have the 3 speeds at the moment.

Bull gear is missing teeth anyway.

I may get a reduction using swappable/reduction pulleys from the electric motor when I get one.



4) There is a second gear on the outside end of the gearbox (lowest gears at the geartrain end of the lathe in the photo) that doesn't seem to be used for anything.

Any ideas what this is for? I'm not sure it's supposed to be there.



gear train (Small).jpg





5) A fair amount of backlash exists in most places to my completely untrained eye.

Have yet to measure or work out if there is any way to adjust any of it.



I'm looking forward to working out more of the puzzle and cleaning pieces up tomorrow.

I have Thing1 (13 years old) and Thing2 (7 years old) giving me a hand. :)



Other pics....

back of apron (Small).jpgtop of apron (Small).jpgways (Small).jpg





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor