Southern Right Whale

mercredi 11 novembre 2015

I started carving some 12 years ago. The fellow who taught me did so in a whittling style and that has remained my primary method of work. However, I've been wanting to get into larger stuff for a while. Earlier this year I bit the bullet.

I had a look at a pattern I've carved a few time of a Southern Right Whale. I decided to do a larger version of it. This involved going back to the original photograph and enlarging it the old fashioned way by drawing grid lines over it and then using these to expand the drawing onto a larger grid. In this case the whale went from about 250 mm to just under a meter. The photo below shows the original photo from which the first pattern was taken and the grid drawn over it in 10 mm squares.



Next draw the squares 4 x larger and transfer the pattern to the larger paper...



Here's the top and side view cut out.



I spent a bit of time looking for one piece of timber to make this thing but in the end it was just too hard. So I worked out the plans for laminating 75 mm slabs of jelutong. I put it to Carbatec that this would be project that could interest people and they agreed to make it a demonstration theme. So I phoned up Otto's (a nearby timber merchant) and arranged for them to cut 75 mm Jelutong slabs into suitable lengths for laminating. The guys at Adelaide Carbatec did the laminating in store the week before the demo.



The demos only go for one half day a month so it took a while to get it done... especially as people forever come and ask questions which is great but tends to draw out the time it takes to get it done.

Getting started...



Southern Right Whale

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor