QLD Robert Sorby Kangaroo panel saw

dimanche 13 décembre 2015

This vintage Robert Sorby panel saw is a big disappointment. That is because I market all my restored saws as users, potentially at least. This one originally had a broken tooth near the toe which I jointed out, re-shaped and set. I thought I heard a click on two occasions and when I was sharpening the saw two teeth broke off near the toe again and this can be seen in the pix.

At this point I realised that I could not offer it for sale as a user saw. It also has a very gentle curve to the saw plate, although probably not enough to affect sawing. So it is for sale with the reservation that the sharpening was not completed. It does cut, but needs further refining, which I was reluctant to do after the tooth issue. It is 9ppi.

I don't have as much history on the saw as I would like. Robert Sorby made the Kangaroo brand in Sheffield UK and not Australia as you might expect, up to 1935.

This saw dates I suspect from before WW1, maybe late 19th century, as it has split nuts and a nib. Only a few saw continued with nibs after WW1 and split nuts did not make it into the 20th century. If anybody has further information on the saw , please feel free to include it here.

The stamp is visible on the plate with Robt Sorby, Sheffield and Cast Steel. There are also three crowns such as worn by royalty. The lambs tongue handle has an interesting fleck in it and there is a glued repair made to the lower guard.

Robert Sorby panel saw 001.jpg Robert Sorby panel saw 009.jpgRobert Sorby panel saw 008.jpgRobert Sorby panel saw 007.jpgRobert Sorby panel saw 006.jpgRobert Sorby panel saw 005.jpgRobert Sorby panel saw 004.jpgRobert Sorby panel saw 003.jpgRobert Sorby panel saw 002.jpgRobert Sorby panel saw 010.jpg

This panel saw is 20" long with the handle held by three brass split nuts

Payment is to be by direct transfer and postage borne by the purchaser.

Please ask any questions. Thanks for looking. More saws to come.

Regards
Paul


QLD Robert Sorby Kangaroo panel saw

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor